Re: Memory tester for powerpc?

ozymandias G desid writes:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:54:35AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>> ozymandias G desiderata <ogd@aoaioxxysz.net> writes:

>>> BTW, do any of you have a .config for a Cube that's been
>>> stripped down to the minimum necessary to actually support all of the
>>> Cube's built-in hardware (along with USB and Firewire support) that's
>>> tailored for benh kernels? I've been trying to do it myself, but I
> Eric Cooper was kind enough to send me the very pared-down config he
> used to build his own Cube, which is substantially different from the
> Debian-distributed configuration, and is exactly what I was looking
> for. The only changes I made were to enable XFS support and the
> Pegasus USB Ethernet driver, which is how I make the Cube my bastion

I guess I might be interested in that config. I have the Cube,
with CubePort and Pegasus USB Ethernet even.

I'm also looking for XFree86 mode lines to handle the Cinema display.
Some of the modes I want are pretty nasty, but needed for 3d with a
plain Rage 128 video card and non-ATI drivers. (somehow ATI can do
24-bit 3d in 6.4 bytes per pixel, but XFree86 wants 12 bytes per pixel)

1600x1024 24-bit  <-- got this one
800x512   24-bit
1600x1024 15-bit or 16-bit
800x512   15-bit or 16-bit

Boy is this setup painful. There must be a zillion hand-edited
config files that I must keep track of. When I reinstall, I'm
going to need them.

> host (the Pegasus was the best solution I was able to find for getting
> a second Ethernet interface into the Cube -- it's got real problems
> at load, when it starts throwing huge numbers of CRC errors, but it
> can handle the traffic from my DSL connection with no problems).

I sent the author a fix for a memory leak. That leaves two obvious
bugs though: failure to operate when compiled in, and the use of
non-atomic bit operations. If I remember right, it was the "flags"
member of some per-device struct that had atomicity troubles.

Consider yourself lucky. I'm hoping that I will someday find a
place that can fix my built-in Ethernet. Ouch... Gee I wonder
if I could get a gigabit interface while I'm at it.

>> The USB audio driver is pretty broken. I can often get it to play
>> something after a reboot. Sometimes processes get stuck. My bug
>> report (with disassembly and C source even!) got ignored.
>
> I know what you're talking about, but my use of the audio driver is
> primarily confined to using the Cube as an MP3 server. I don't even
> bother using esd -- I just run mpg123 directly. I've seen intermittent
> problems with the driver, but it works well enough for me. My only
> complaint is that the USB speakers sound a lot quieter under Linux
> than they do under MacOS, even when I have them mixed to full volume.
> Does anyone have any workarounds for this?
>
> Do you have a patch? I'd be interested in seeing your bug report.

Check google:  cahalan usb audio -google
Look for the follow-up with extra info.

USB audio is another driver that only works as a module.
The standard Cube speakers (the ones that roll off your desk)
seem to operate at 50 Hz, which is pretty strange.

I'm tempted to do the very un-Linus hack of finding out if our
many sound daemons could be stuffed into the kernel. I'm sick
of all the conflicts, and not happy knowing that there is an
extra source of lag in the middle. Oh well.

The sbp2 (SCSI-over-FireWire AFAIK) driver is yet another one
that only works as a module. What is this world coming to?
Gone are the days when a driver was less likely to work as a
module than when compiled in.