Re: Memory tester for powerpc?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:54:35AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> ozymandias G desiderata <ogd@aoaioxxysz.net> writes:
> > BTW, do any of you have a .config for a Cube that's been
> > stripped down to the minimum necessary to actually support all of the
> > Cube's built-in hardware (along with USB and Firewire support) that's
> > tailored for benh kernels? I've been trying to do it myself, but I
> > apparently keep exercising some weirdness, because I get huge numbers
> > of "IN from blah at blah" errors in the kernel message buffer.
>
> Disable UHCI USB, normal 16x50 serial ports, the PC clock thing,
> the plain MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA text-mode console, and laptop stuff.

Eric Cooper was kind enough to send me the very pared-down config he
used to build his own Cube, which is substantially different from the
Debian-distributed configuration, and is exactly what I was looking
for. The only changes I made were to enable XFS support and the
Pegasus USB Ethernet driver, which is how I make the Cube my bastion
host (the Pegasus was the best solution I was able to find for getting
a second Ethernet interface into the Cube -- it's got real problems
at load, when it starts throwing huge numbers of CRC errors, but it
can handle the traffic from my DSL connection with no problems).

> The USB audio driver is pretty broken. I can often get it to play
> something after a reboot. Sometimes processes get stuck. My bug
> report (with disassembly and C source even!) got ignored.

I know what you're talking about, but my use of the audio driver is
primarily confined to using the Cube as an MP3 server. I don't even
bother using esd -- I just run mpg123 directly. I've seen intermittent
problems with the driver, but it works well enough for me. My only
complaint is that the USB speakers sound a lot quieter under Linux
than they do under MacOS, even when I have them mixed to full volume.
Does anyone have any workarounds for this?

Do you have a patch? I'd be interested in seeing your bug report.

Forrest

--
       . . . the self-reflecting image of a narcotized mind . . .
ozymandias G desiderata     ogd@aoaioxxysz.net     desperate, deathless