Re: searching Java & flash for mozilla

On Sam, 2002-01-26 at 20:45, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:

> I am no Galeon user but Laurent  just reported the following:
>
> > just double-checked. The plugin is built with fPIC option and it's a
> > shared lib all right. There is no ect symbol per se in the plugin code.
> > Mozilla loads applets correctly with the plugin and they run well. And
> > Galeon 1.0.2 shows the same error on my machine. Weird.
>
> So the "ect" missing symbol is not part of the jdk plugin?
>
> Could one of the Galeon libraries be missing a -fPIC in its build?

Not impossible I guess, but the out of range relocation is usually
reported for the faulty object.

A common cause for this problem is a static library (those are usually
built without -fPIC) getting linked into a shared object. Debian has a
new xlibs-pic package to overcome this problem.

It is indeed strange that the JDK plugin doesn't even have a relocation
for 'ect' - could it be a bug in the dynamic linker after all, mangling
the relocation for 'select' or another symbol containing 'ect'?