Re: Powerpc (mac-G4) -essentially (hardly) broken

On  23 Jan, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:
> On Die, 2002-01-22 at 19:54, Nick Bailey wrote:
>
>> I also have to get the tilde/grave key to
>> produce tilde/grave (it produces < or > in the console, and the
>> plus/minus / section key -- top left of the keyboard  -- does the
>> tilde/grave thing)  It took ages to find this out: the key is inbetween
>> the left hand shift key and the Z, so I don't understand why X thinks
>> it's AC11.  It returns kecode 94 according the xev: this is strange
>> because that's the code for KP4 according to the keycodes file I looked
>> in.  I don't know what's going on here, but this fixes it (and changing
>> KP4 stops the 4 on the keypad from working, so at least that's consistent).
>>
>> key <AC11> {        [           grave,      asciitilde      ]       };
>
> Dunno what's up here but if the console has the same failure, it sounds like
> the kernel is at fault.

This _may_ be a bug between ANSI (US, others?) and ISO (European
localized) keyboards. ISO keyboards have an additional key between left
shift and the first alpha key, labelled '</>' on my swiss-french
keyboard.

So, problems arise if kernel or X doesn't know the right keyboard type
(at least the kernel does detect that for ADB keyboards), plus there
_may_ also be a mixup between that key and the one left of '1'
(tilde/grave on US keyboards).

Anybody with experience or insight?

Cheers

Michel