Re: deja vu: problems with latex and accents

Hej Rory,

> There are two accents in the word deja, é and an à which I can see in
> downloaded text (in an xterm) but cannot find the key combination for.
> I'm using woody on a Lombard Powerbook.
>
> How do I get latex to 'render' these in the dvi output? At the moment
> they aren't rendered at all. Déjà vu becomes Dj vu!

instead of directly typing the character, you can use an escape-sequence.
so, for deja vu (with accents), you'w write

d\'ej\`a vu

(like this, you can place any accent on virtually any letter,
eg. \^e for fenetre or \~n for spanish :) )
it may not be that convenient to type, but it's a bit more portable
and does not depend on the font or terminal you're using.

bye
Philipp Kaeser