Re: Can anyone help with #112770?

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 03:18:29AM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 00:08, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've been trying to track this down, but my knowledge of PowerPC is
> > sadly lacking. The problem is that ratpoison crashes on `C-t a' on ppc
> > (on i386, it works fine). From the backtrace, I couldn't figure out
> > where the problem lies. Key handling should be OK, as other commands
> > appear to work fine. marked_message_printf should be OK too, as that
> > one prints the initial greeting message, which works.
> >
> > There is probably something I don't see, and is obvious to anyone who
> > knows what he is doing..
> >
> > Can anyone lend me a hand?
>
> As you'll see on the backtrace (screenshot of one in fact), your problem
> lies with yet another ill use of va_args. Check the list for the reasons
> why it crashes and how to fix it.
>
> (I don't understand it myself to be truthful, if somebody with the
> knowledge could explain better...).

I don't have knowledge, but I have pointers, which is almost as good:

man va_start

/usr/share/doc/glibc-doc/html/chapters_35.html#SEC687

The upshot is that powerpc compilers enforce the correct usage of
varargs, where most i386 compilers do not. It's not really a powerpc
specific problem.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |