Re: Installation worked! Now, the modem, though...

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 07:05:18PM +0000, Sunnanvind wrote:
> Chris: Thanks a mil for pointing me to
> people.debian.org/~/walters/debian/installer/new-powermac/ - it worked
> like a charm.
> The issue was probably the kernel all along.
>
> I now have a working single-boot debian installation and don't have to
> deal with mac-quirkiness (I was referring to Mac OS when I said "doesn't
> ship with a compiler") which is a good thing, nor mac-beautifulness,
> which is somewhat sad, but hey, I have X11-beautifulness (I love xaw).
>
> Now I'm trying to get the internal modem to work. lsmod says
> that 'macserial' is loaded (and 'serial' isn't), but neither pppconfig
> nor wvdialconf finds a modem.
> "setserial -g /dev/ttyS*" says UART: unknown for /dev/ttyS0
> and /dev/ttyS1.
>
> I don't think I'm running devfs.
>
> Does anyone have any clues to what I'm missing? Please let me know.
> Thanks.
> Sue.

Search the list archives in the last couple of months for
modem. There's been a lot of discussion, which I haven't tracked
closely (lucky me with DSL), but which is undoubtedly pertinent.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |