Re: XF86Config-4 for PowerMac 7500?

On Wed, 2002-01-09 at 19:07, Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Paul F. Pearson wrote:

> > > When I tried that one, all I could get was 640x480. I got a message saying
> > > that 1024x768 wouldn't work (shouldn't it?), and 800x600 lookes "screwy".
> >
> > Update: When I change to a bit depth of 16, I can do 1024x768 (at 24 bits,
> > I actually had a virtual desktop of 800x600).
> >
> > Actually, the log output says "Virtual size is 1024x768". How can I get
> > that to an *actual* size? I get a true 1024x768 in the Mac OS.
>
> Update#2: Now, when I boot into Linux (the boot is now in X), I appear to
> only have perhaps 640x480 on screen. The Login window is larger than my
> screen!

So the virtual resolution is bigger than the physical one. A common
cause of this is that the biggest mode isn't first on the Modes line in
Subsection "Display".

> When I do ctrl-alt-plus, the screen is unreadable (garbled - sort of looks
> like three columns of grey garbage).

And if you do that several times?

> When I find where the log file is, I'll post it.

/var/log/XFree86.0.log (as mentioned in the server output ;)

> Have I mentioned that I'm using XF86 version 4?

I think you haven't, but it was clear from the information you provided.
:)