Re: updatedb+checksecurity are killing my battery

On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 16:03, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> > > Great, this should go into pmud, like starting anacron on wakeup,
> > > Colin's (no)atime remount, ... :)
> >
> > That's what pwrctl-local is good for, now isn't it?
>
> But you could include this suggestion as an example pwrctl-local?

I was going to suggest the same. :)

> I have another problem, I had to put ifup and ifdown in my pwrctl-local.
> Do you think this belongs there or would it be a good idea to put
> "ifdown -a" and "ifup -a" in pwrctl?

Why do you need that? The network card driver should handle sleep, maybe
you just have to use a newer kernel.

> > I'm not sure I like the noatime remount as default for the clueless user.
> > Holding off on cron while on battery is a good idea, but I won't introduce
> > a dependency on anacron for it. If it's just a matter of adding
> > on_ac_power to /usr/bin, fine (a dependency on perl is pretty much what
> > you can't escape with Debian).
> You could add a test "[-x /usr/sbin/anacron] && exit" or something like
> that into on_ac_power and not a dependency but a suggest for anacron.

Neither of this is even needed. I have no idea how Michael came to think
on_ac_power would depend on anacron in any way. ;) anacron uses
on_ac_power to determine whether it should run the cronjobs or not.