Re: call for testers: new-powermac installer (yes, this means you!)

Chris Tillman <toff@azstarnet.com> writes:

> 1) We need to compile hfs support into the supplied kernel.

D'oh.  I meant to do that.  I'm uploading a fixed version now.

> 2) The harddisk installation dialog is really hosed, whether I
> choose harddisk or already-mounted. I tried dozens of different
> valid paths, it kept telling me were invalid, the only way I could
> get it to work was using the harddisk option (so it knew what
> partition it was using at least), and just putting a single / in the
> path, then using the ... to browse to the directory I wanted. Its
> bad.

This is a serious bug.  I'll try to reproduce (and hopefully fix) it.
We still need to document the whole basedebs.tgz thing too...

> 3) I used the basede bs.tgz from Dec04, and it worked very well. The
> base system was installed in less than 3 minutes.

Very cool.

> 4) More disk space: 225 MB was not quite enough to install the
> standard packages (after tasksel without selecting any tasks). I'll
> update the docs to point this out.

This is kind of a downer, but it's not new-powermac's fault, no?

> 5) base-config went into an infinite keymap loop at the end. Filed
> #124148 on base-config.

Ick.  I haven't run into this in my tests.  By the way, if there have
been any newer versions of base-config since Dec04, it might be worth
regenerating a new basedebs.tgz and trying that.