Re: Beige G3 and USB Mouse

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 07:20:01PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > > In other words, if you really are interested in using the mouse in X
> > > applications, there's no need to muck around with gpm. In the most
> > > recent revision changelog to the X packages, Branden says
> > > (paraphrasing) if you insist on using gpm, you're on your own getting
> > > the mouse to work in X. That's because gpm imterrupts X's access to
> > > the hardware (as understand it).

That's a pretty bad distortion of what the changelog means.

> > I thought that this was only an issue with pre-4.x versions of XFree86, and
> > that 4.x could actually be pointed at /dev/gpmdata. However if that is not
> > the case, I have no problem turning gpm off before I start X.
>
> Hopefully Branden will weigh in here.

All the changelog entry means is that you're on your own when it comes
to figuring out which X mouse protocol your /dev/gpmdata device uses.

I continue to assert that gpm is a waste of time for anyone who wants to
use X.  No one appears to want to deal with gpm at the Debian package
level.  It's maintainer certainly doesn't; he's looking to orphan it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     No math genius, eh?  Then perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you could explain to me where you