Re: Booting Debian on oldworld G3

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:03:06PM +0000, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> Well,
>
> It finally all works. Thanks to Chris and others who mailed me
> suggestions. The only thing not working is the timeout so that it
> boots automagically after x seconds, but I don't care about that right
> now.

Cool! I shoulda read a couple more messages ahead in my mailer.

> Things to note on oldworld machines :
>
> Always run system disk first. This may solve many of your problems. I
> will be providing a dd'd image of an OS8 boot disk and a dd'd image of
> a disk with SystemDisk on it in the next few days for those of us with
> no bootable OS9. < Where should I put this for people to access ? >

I don't think we can distribute that, it's not free software.

> Make sure that your Linux partition appears before any Mac partitions
> in the partition map.
>
> Make sure that all partitions that you wish to boot from are within
> the first 8gig on beige G3's

Was this one of your problems? Or did you find a pointer somewhere
that this is an issue?

> If you have problems with quik, do the following :
>
> - boot off of the install disks.
>
> - When you get the menu, hit alt-f2 and then enter to start a shell
>
> - mount your root filesystem (eg mount /dev/hda6 /mnt)
>
> - edit quik.conf and make sure that it looks something like the
> following :
>
> init-message="Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)"
> default=Linux
> timeout=100
> root=/dev/hda6
> partition=6
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19-pmac
>         label=Linux
>         read-only
>
> The partition=6 bit in this is important. This should probably
^H^H^H^H^H^H^H definitely
match

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |