Dual booting OSX and Debian on G3 beige

Hi all,

This is a repost of a saga that I am currently looking for help on
uk.comp.os.linux. Apologies to anyone who has already seen this.

The machine in question is a beige G3 oldworld machine. I have OSX
installed and I then did this :

I downloaded the first 2 disks for woody and did an FTP base install
of that. Woody's installation appears to be more advanced that
potato's when it comes to quik.

It changed the boot-command and boot-device in my open firmware for
me. However, a reboot just got a message scrolling saying

can't OPEN:  can't OPEN:

I now have the following in /etc/quik.conf
init-message="Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)"
default=Linux
timeout=100
root=/dev/hda7

## Do not point image= to a symlink, quik can't follow symlinks
image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19-pmac
        label=Linux
        read-only

/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19-pmac does exist.

Running quik produces the following warning :
Warning: prior partition (entry 6) is bootable

Rebooting the system with the boot-device and boot-command set to what
debian set them to at install time
(boot-device /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/ata-disk@0:0, boot-command
begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again boot)

produces:
0> can't OPEN:
 ok
0>

If anyone can help I would _much_ appreciate it. I can't help but feel
I'm close. I have both OS's on the machine, I just can't boot debian
:( If anyone knows of somewhere else I could ask this question, I
would appreciate that information as well!

TIA,

--
- Wayne Pascoe
wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk      | riddle them with bullets.