Re: 2.4.x kernel crashing

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 14:30, Russell Hires wrote:

> I'm running stock 2.4.16, self compiled, on a Beige G3/266, with KDE as my
> window manager. I get random crashes with any 2.4.x kernel. I would like to
> use xmon to figure out what's wrong so that I can get it fixed, but I can't
> see the terminal/console because when I crash, the top portion of my screen
> becomes artifacts that I can't read (the rest of it is dead).

That machine has a Mach64 chip, right? That's what you get for an
XFree86 driver which doesn't support the framebuffer device - when I get
kicked into xmon I can read it perfectly. Maybe you could too if before
running X, you set the VT X runs on to the same depth (using fbset) you
have configured in X. You'll have to find out yourself.

> I can't switch to another console, but at the very least, at the top of
> the screen, I get a blinking cursor that I know is in a shell mode
> with xmon.

No shell, just the xmon prompt.

> I want to record this xmon info to a file, which I tried, but it
> didn't save. I don't know where to get documentation on xmon so I can
> figure out how to save to a file (since I'm unable to read the
> screen).

If that was the only problem... when you're in xmon, bad things have
happened and everything is interrupted. Only when you exit xmon (by
entering 'x') does the system continue to run. So there is no filesystem
access in xmon.

xmon is a tool for developers. If you don't know how to use it, it's
probably better to just exit it right away and then try to decode the
oops with ksymoops on the syslog output. But then you could as well
disable xmon in your kernels, though you might not notice when the
oopses happen then.