Re: woody boot-floppies

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:51:46PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:47:23PM -0800, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 03:32:25PM -0800, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm trying to install woody onto a G4 Cube using Ethan's current
> > > preferred method...
> >
> > OK, sorry to waste everyone's time, I had not sufficiently RTFM and
> > hadn't noticed the bit about not being able to load from a HFS+ disk.
> > Given that all of my bootable media are at a friend's house right now,
> > looks like I'm going to be booting from the network. ;)
> >

> Hmmm. the yaboot-howto says HFS+ is OK, although Ethan wants to deprecate it.
>
> I noticed your command said hd:,yaboot -- I think you need a partition
> number in there like hd:16,yaboot (well that's what I use).

Yes, I think booting boot-floppies from HFS+ works about as well as
booting them across the network (which is to say that it doesn't work
at all ;). OF does something semi-magical if you omit the partition
number from the boot command -- in any case it found yaboot and loaded
the kernel just fine. The problem is the kernel.

I downloaded a prebuilt 2.4.12-benh0 kernel from
http://www.ppckernel.org/benh-devel/ and added it to my tftp-bootable
yaboot configuration. The kernel loaded and booted just fine, only
hanging when it hit the place where it was supposed to load root.bin
(it had apparently been compiled without initrd support, which is
fine, because the initrd from boot-floppies doesn't match the kernel
anyway).

I'm forced to conclude that the build of 2.2.19 that's distributed
with boot-floppies doesn't work with the G4 Cube. As much as it makes
me yack, I'm going to try potato boot-floppies and see if they're any
better. Does anyone have any interest in doing me a bigassed favor and
whomping up a version of boot-floppies with a 2.4 kernel? If I had
another PPC machine I'd do it myself, but I don't.

I'm remembering this line I once read that went "pioneers get shot
full of arrows"...

yrz,
Forrest

--
       . . . the self-reflecting image of a narcotized mind . . .
ozymandias G desiderata     ogd@aoaioxxysz.net     desperate, deathless