Re: Sound problems

Derrik Pates <dpates@dsdk12.net> writes:

> allowed. The plan is eventually to remove all the sample-conversion code,
> and only allow the sample formats that the hardware knows, expecting
> userspace to do the conversion work.

Ick.  Wave good-bye to all the non-esound/arts stuff out there, I
guess.

> > It doesn't appear so; I hacked the kernel module so that it set the
> > supports little endian var to 1, but it behaved even worse then (no
> > sound plays at all, and arts gets all confused).
>
> That's good to know.

Well yes and no.  I changed your test for rev that was rev >= 2 to rev
== 2 (mine is a rev 3) which effectively said it could do the little
endian samples. However, rather than just playing with a bunch of
nasty-sounding static as I expected to occur, *nothing* happened other
than what looked like an entire lockup for awhile -- X entirely froze
for about 20 seconds when I tried to play something with arts.  No
idea why, but suffice it to say I'm back to the way it was :-)

-- John

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>    GPG: 0x8A1D9A1F    www.complete.org