Re: Install: force Lombard to use yaboot, not quik

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 12:07:31AM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> I've got to the second last step in the installation procedure on my
> Lombard and got stuck, i.e. at step 8.1. ``Make System Bootable''. The
> installer reports that quik is being set up, and I want to use yaboot.

Since it's trying to install quik, is it an oldworld? I'm not sure whether a
Lombard is old or new. If old, it can't use yaboot. But ybin would have
probably told you that.

> Everything else has gone very well (installing initially using the
> debian-imac.sit package and from there from NFS from one of my servers).
> I'm aiming to install woody, but note that there is no 'base' install
> file for woody; the installer grabs that from potato.
>
> I have setup an apple_boostrap partition as set out in Ethan's fdisk
> faq, just below all the apple driver stuff. Its OF address is hd:7. I've
> tried going into the installer shell (ash) and running ybin manually.
> But, with reference to
> <http://master.penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-faq.shtml>, I
> realise that I should probably be running yabootconfig after editing
> /etc/yaboot.conf - or is it the other way around? The yaboot-faq
> confuses me a little here.

yabootconfig creates a plain vanilla yaboot.conf. It moves your yaboot.conf
to yaboot.conf.old.

When you run ybin, it sets up the bootstrap partition according to the
/etc/yaboot.conf's instructions.

> Also, should my device line in yaboot.conf point to my "/" partition (In
> my case the partition after the boot partition)? Should the image
> partition below be 8?
>
>     default=Linux
>
>     boot=/dev/hda7
>     device=hd:8:
                ^^ no, the device should not include any partition number.
>     delay=100
>     timeout=10
              ^^ btw, this is only one second - it is 1/10ths
>     install=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot
>     magicboot=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>
>     image=/vmlinux
>         label=Linux
>         root=/dev/hda3
>         read-only

When you get everything going and if you decide to upgrade to woody, your
keycodes will be changed to linux keycodes. When that happens, (but not
before, you'll be warned) you will need
another line here:

          append="keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1"

>         partition=3
>
>     macos=hd:10

Also, for the *best* looking menu IMHO, add

fgcolor=light_purple

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |