Re: does Yaboot really need first partition?

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 07:35:05PM +0200, Christoph Bohle wrote:

> hello,
>
> do i really have to put the bootstrap partition before the first mac-os
> partition?

yes

> i followed the "famous" instruction
>   http://www.xiph.org/~jack/ibook/instnotes.html

don't, its knowingly producing misinformation.

> and have a bootstrap partition after my mac-os partitions. it works for
> booting via open firmware (boot hd:11,\\yaboot). but it does not work
> automatically like it should.

exactly, thats why you need to put it before macos partitions.  my
docs explain this.

> i would prefer not to do all the mac-os installation again. so, is it
> possible to live with a bootstrap partition after the mac-os partition?
> is it (or will it be) possible to make such a bootstrap partition work
> normally?

rtfm: http://master.penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

hint: it explains how to move the partition non-destructivly.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/