Re: woody ppc installer

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 04:20:15PM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Hi Ethan
>
> Sorry to bother you about this. I'm planning to install woody on a
> bronze-keyboard G3 powerbook - a Lombard, I think it is called; no
> firewire. PowerPC G3 333Mhz. I'm about to upgrade MacOS to 9.1/9.2.
>
> Should I be using yaboot or BootX? The extract from the yaboot FAQ seems
> to suggest that yaboot is for G4s, iMacDVs, or Pismo laptops.

yaboot is for all NewWorld macs.  that is most anything made 1999 on.
or also referred to by Apple as the `ROM-In-RAM' machines.

one way you can usually tell on laptops is check your SystemFolder for
a file called MacOSROM or something like that, if it exists your
machine is newworld and you cannot use BootX.  if it does not exist
you definitly have an OldWorld and need to use quik or BootX.

woody boot-floppies will be able to tell the difference and will
install the right bootloader for each, you will know as soon as you
tell it to partition the disk as it will say right then whether you
have a newworld or not.  for oldworlds it installs quik, for newworld
yaboot, all automatically.  (it will require you to create the
Bootstrap partition correctly if your newworld)

> I currently use BootX for LinuxPPC, but I'd like to do the 'right'
> thing!
>
> Thanks
> Rory
>
> >From <http://master.penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-faq.shtml>
>
> If you're on a G4, iMacDV, or Pismo laptop, you can restart while
> holding down the option key, and you should be presented with two
> buttons: one for the MacOS, and one for Linux. Click the Linux button,
> then the arrow, and you should boot into yaboot and from there into
> Linux.

thats just an OpenFirmware feature of very new machines, not all
newworlds have it.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/