Re: New Altivec-enabled vlc available

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:08:27AM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Michel Lanners wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've uploaded a new Altivec-enabled version of vlc (built from the
> > 20011004 snapshot). It is available here:
>
> Wow you are a genius :):):)  How did you manage to get those nasty old
> Altivec tools to work on a recent Linux?  Or did you x-compile from MacOS
> X?

Binutils is already altivec enabled, and there are no problems
assembling source.  Debian's gcc-2.95 does not have the altivec
intrisics patch applied by default, and for a good reason, since
it fails compiling anything that is remotely non-trivial.
Nevertheless, I keep an altivec-enabled gcc around because it is
about 1000 times faster than me at converting altivec intrinsics
into well-scheduled instructions.  I use that to convert to assembly,
fix up the assembly, and then use the assembly as the source.

dave...