Re: ibook2 playing audio CDs

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Adrian Cox wrote:

> I'm using testing, together with the linuxppc_2_4_devel Bitkeeper tree.
> xmms plays MP3s and Oggs fine, but the cd reader plugin just produces
> noise. It sounds to me like an endianness problem.

Try the current BenH tree. One problem in the dmasound_awacs driver is
that even with hardware that doesn't know how to reendianize samples in
hardware (like iBook's DACA and iBook2's Texas/Tumbler), it'll still allow
a userspace program to select a little-endian sample format. That's one
thing I've corrected with a patch I sent to Ben, so that should correct
your problem there.

> The other problem I have is that the MP3 and Ogg output is quite hissy
> compared to my desktop machine. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of
> the iBook2 hardware, or a problem in the driver.

Are you listening throughh headphones plugged into its audio out, or
through its internal speakers? Don't be surprised if the built-in speakers
sound a little hissy.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN