X 4.1.0 Hints for french PowerBook users...

After struggling with X keyboard configurations for a while, I finally found
a way to get access to {, }, [ and ] under X on a FRENCH PowerBook keyboard.

There is a problem with the standard key mappings under X 4.1.0 (I'm running
unstable), you should modify the file:

/usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh/fr

and just after this line:

    name[Group1]= "FR-1";

add:

    key <LALT> {
        symbols[Group1] = [ Mode_switch, Multi_key ],
        virtualMods = AltGr
    };

I don't know who maintain this package but as a matter of cleanup, there
should be a section "powerbook" added which includes the "extended"
definition and adds the key above.

Also, here is the proper InputDevice section to put in XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "keyboard"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xfree86"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "macintosh"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "fr"
EndSection

--
Florent Pillet, Code Segment       Florent.Pillet@wanadoo.fr
PGP Key: D13C 6DD7 D0E2 7891 4AF9 0111 9514 4753 02F1 4D6D

PowerGlot, the premier localization tool for Mac OS software
   -> PowerGlot Software           http://www.powerglot.com/
Palm Buddy for Mac & PalmOS. FindHack, SymbolHack for PalmOS
   -> ...and other tools... http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fpillet/
BrainForest, outlines & action items for Palm, Mac & Windows
   ->                                http://www.aportis.com/