Re: yaboot/openfirmware question [again]

On 15/08/01 1:08, "Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:46:34AM +0200, pejvan wrote:
>> On 23/07/01 12:46, "Han The Thanh" <thanh@informatics.muni.cz> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have installed yaboot with macOS, OSX and debian onto a powerbook. It
>>> worked very well. Then when I tried to change starup disk in OSX, then the
>>> yaboot menu doesn't show up at booting; the machine immediately boots up to
>>> OSX. Booting to debian (using OF and the magic string boot hd:2,yaboot) and
>>> rerun ybin didn't help. How can I fix this problem?
>>>

>> I have the same problem, and i cannot solve it. Here is all i've tried :
>>
>> Since i've installed mac os x, my G4 is unable to boot by itself : at the
>> boot i get weird picture : a torn system folder, and the boot process stops.
>>
>> I have to hold down 'halt' in order to be able to boot OS9 or 0SX
>>
>> But i simply cannot boot to linux anymore. I've tried everything :
>>
>> setenv boot-device hd:X,\\tbxi
>
> wrong, let ybin do it.
>
>> setenv boot-device hd:X,\\yaboot
>
> also wrong.
>
>> Where i've made X move from 0 to 10 (i have only 9 partitions on this
>> drive...)
>>
>> Anyway, I always get the damn same error in OF : "can't OPEN: hd:X,\\tbxi"
>> If i choose mac-boot, i get the torn system folder again
>>
>> Plus, i've zapped the pram (halt command P R) and typed in OF
>> 'set-defaults', but nothing new happens.
>
> it sounds like you didn't create your bootstrap partition correctly,
> please send me the output of mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda, also show me your
> /etc/yaboot.conf and dpkg -s yaboot | grep ^Version

Well my problem is that before I installed OS X, everything worked fine, and
i sure did use my linux and i simply dont want to reinstall it because it
worked really nice...

Do you think my bootstrap partition could have been corrupted in some way ?

Thanks,

Pejvan
--
"We don't do a new version to fix bugs." - Bill Gates
"The new version - it's not there to fix bugs." - Bill Gates