Re: openfirmware display

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 07:50:03AM -0400, fheitka@attglobal.net wrote:
> In <3B38C756.623DCE49@netfall.com>, on 06/26/01
>    at 10:33 AM, Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> said:
>
> >Ethan Benson wrote:
> >>

> >> where did you hear that nvidia worked with i386?  it sucks just as
> >> badly there unless you use proprietary drivers which make your system
> >> more unreliable then win95.
>
> The XFree86 sources contain drivers for the nvidia chips and GForce 2 xx
> cards.  Is there something wrong with these drivers?  Shouldn't they work
> with the Mac version (i.e. AGP != AGP?)

 The open source drivers for nvidia hardware are all 2d only, except
for some old stuff that NVidia opened up for the TNT2, or something.
I was digging around for stuff on this after I got an i386 with a
GeForce2 MX.  Anyway, the only way to get accelerated 3D that I know
of with a GeForce is with NVidia's binary-only drivers.  They work
fairly well for me with a 2.4.5 kernel and XFree86 4.0.3.  I think I
did experience a few lockups after leaving a game running full screen
overnight.  That was with the driver version from the
nvidia-kernel-src package in Debian, which is way behind what's
available from NVidia.  I haven't had problems with version 1251 of
NVidia's drivers.  Still, I would think twice about running NVidia's
crap on my firewall/email server/etc.  However, I'm going to try it
anyway, and try to leave some of my computers turned off to save
electricity and heat, esp. during the summer.

 BTW, if anyone remembers my post a while ago about how NVidia's
kernel module had GPL'ed code in it, that turned out to have been a
pipe dream.  I looked at the source again and didn't see any mention
of any license other than "hands off, evil consumer...".  Damn.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y