Re: openfirmware display

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 11:17:35PM -0400, fheitka@attglobal.net wrote:
> > Ouch!! I just noticed that I could have ordered my Mac with the Radeon
> > instead of the GForce 2 card.   The Radeon card is around $200 and
> > supposedly is quite a bit slower than the GForce 2 MX though.
>
> what good is a fast card if you can't use it?  i assure you a radeon
> with a nice supported driver is much faster with nvidia and
> video=ofonly.

The obvious point.  On powerpc, the nvidia is a brick, so speed
comparisons are moot.  BTW, on x86 under windoze, the Radeon card is
"slower," but definitely not "quite a bit slower."  The radeon is a
perfectly good 3D card and a perfectly good substitute over the
nvidia, IMHO.

> > I didn't do my homework :(   I guess I saw that the GForce 2 worked with
> > ia32 Linux and assumed it would work with PPC Linux too since most  other
> > programs and some drivers do.    I got my Mac a couple months ago.
>
> where did you hear that nvidia worked with i386?  it sucks just as
> badly there unless you use proprietary drivers which make your system
> more unreliable then win95.

Er, stick to the previous point.  My gaming machine has a Geforce 2
in it and I use the proprietary drivers and it works great.  But you
can't upgrade your software all the time.  I probably wouldn't be
all that happy if I had to use it as my daily workstation, because
you have to stick to the version of X that the driver works with.
Except when running Q3, I pretty much use Windoze on it anyway.  It
was a free, to me, but legal copy, I swear.  If there are any
questions, speak to my lawyer.