Re: openfirmware display

In <3B372BF6.7278946D@iogram.ch>, on 06/25/01
   at 02:17 PM, Michel Dänzer <daenzer@iogram.ch> said:

Note:  I've CC'd this to the list so others have a chance to
join in.

I read on http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html a hint that you can
tweak the video parameters in OF.  Maybe it's possible to get the colors
to work properly?  I don't see any actual instruction on that page on how
to try.

>rivafb is supposed to work with all NVidia chips, I don't know if the
>GeForce are supported or if it has any chance of working on non-i386 yet
>though.

Oh riva is the Nvida TNT(2) chip?  I guess I didn't know they were
compatible.  I'll give it a try.

>> >I'm sorry I have to say this, but the NVidia card is really a bad choice
>> >for Linux. It's very unlikely that there will ever be decent support. The
>> >Radeon OTOH is fully supported in 2D and hopefully soon in 3D as well. :)
>>
>> That's what came with my box.  Maybe I'll take a look at the Radeon.

Ouch!! I just noticed that I could have ordered my Mac with the Radeon
instead of the GForce 2 card.   The Radeon card is around $200 and
supposedly is quite a bit slower than the GForce 2 MX though.

>These days one can choose the card to be delivered with the box, wasn't
>that the case when you ordered yours?

I don't remember if there was a choice when I ordered it.

I didn't do my homework :(   I guess I saw that the GForce 2 worked with
ia32 Linux and assumed it would work with PPC Linux too since most  other
programs and some drivers do.    I got my Mac a couple months ago.

Fred