Re: unsupported display? (dual scan on PowerBook 2400 & G3)

on 26.06.2001 01:00, Michael Blakeley at mike@blakeley.com wrote:

> Ah - a dual-scan passive-matrix LCD. I haven't touched one in years:
> the 1400 was the last shipping powerbook with that display, wasn't it?

No, the last one was actually the PowerBook I have in my hands :-) PB G3
with 233mhz and no backside cache [Labeled "road apple" by LowendMac.Com).

> Good, now I understand you. But what makes you so sure that your 2400
> has a passive display?

YOu have the 2400, I have the G3 ;-)  But forget about that. I always look
up <http://lowendmac.com/>. (They also are propagating for linux on that
site, a bit.) The Tech note I was referring to just happened to be older
than my computer, that's why it did lack info about it. On lowendmac.com you
can read about the one 2400 model with dual scan. Go learn ;-)

>>> I haven't ever used it in Linux with dual-scan enabled,
>>
>> You should call this 'duplication of the screen image on an external
>> monitor' or something.
>
> Personally, I call it "mirroring" (or display mirroring)

That's the right word of course.

> I thought we were talking about debian?

We were. It was just a little bit of history about my "linuxianship"...

> I've never tried a YDL
> install on the 2400. I dislike x-based installers, since they always
> seem to cause problems like this.

Well, debian created the same troubles for me actually so...  but the great
news is

> Anyway, if your chipset is the CT6550, like all 2400's that I've
> seen, then the debian potato kernel should work with it.

that I have a G3. And the best news is that your tip about writing
"video=ofonly" was a great tip. As soon as I typed it into BootX the debian
potato installer started :-) Many thanks for you help! (The same trick did
for some reason not work with the YDL2.0 via CD, and that is perhaps the
reason: the CD.)

I have a further more basic questions: currently I am in the midst of the
installation. I put all the necessary files (Linux kernels and all the
different rescue image and other images inside my System Folder on my HFS
partiion. But as soon as I came to that point in the installation where the
actuall software installation were to begun, the installer asked me for the
path to the images (at the moment the path to powermac/image-something.) And
I was not able to specify that path of course.

Hence I decided to use the network install option. I'm just about to try it.
But if you would be so kind and tell me what the path should look like, it
would be very happy... ;-)

--
 Leif H Silli
 Oslo