trackpad tap and button as different buttons?

How easy would it be to persuade X to read the trackpad tap
and the trackpad button as two different buttons?  I know
this can be done (a MacOS demo game called nanosaur does this
kind of thing*), but would it be a huge amount of kernel
hacking and require knowledge of PS2 mouse codes which I know
nothing about, or is it an obscure but relatively easy trick?

Cheers,

Kin Hoong

*It may also cause very subtle damage to MacOS9.04 when
executed---so be careful when playing with it.