Re: Problems installing on new iBook dual USB

In article <20010623190847.A10949@coalabs.com>,
 rgolan@coalabs.com (Ron Golan) wrote:

> I didn't realize that getting Debian onto this iBook would be so
> difficult. I hope someone on this list has some clues to help
> me. First I have to ask if anyone knows of anyone installing Debian on
> one of these things?

Several people have installed debian on the new ibook. Learn to use
google: you could have gotten most of what I'm posting via
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ibook&hl=en&group=debian.powerpc&safe=
off&sa=G&scoring=d>

> My problems begin with the fact that I can't find any tools from Apple
> to repartition the disk. Neither the included Mac OS X CD or the
> Software Restore CD have HD Setup. What does Apple use these days to
> partition drives? I want to Dual boot Mac OS and Linux and thought it
> would be better to create the new Mac OS partitions with an Apple
> tool.

http://www.cfcl.com/~eryk/linux/pdisk/ is pretty much the same as the
'mac-fdisk' built into the debian installer. There's no better partition
editor for the mac, on any OS.

> I can't even see yet how to use pdisk on the Debian CD because it
> doesn't boot. When booting holding down the c key, all I get is a pure
> white screen. I've tried net booting too. While using bootp, I get an
> "Unknown DHCP Request (8)" in the server's logs and when using dhcpd,
> I get "DHCPInform from ..." in the logs. Either way the iBook just
> sits there with the little earth flashing in the middle of the
> screen.

You need to boot with OF video, as the potato (and probably the woody)
installer doesn't support the ati rage128 M3 chipset yet.
   boot hd:XXX,yaboot video=ofonly

> Anyone know of any "hacked for iBook" Debian CDs? Other leads? One
> idea is to install Yellow Dog Linux and then start the Debian install
> from the previous YDL installation. There must be an easier way.

If we're lucky, woody (currently "testing") will support the iBook
(dual-USB). But debian tends toward stabilty rather than bleeding-edge
features, so owners of new hardware always have to struggle a bit.

-- Mike

--
Michael Blakeley       mike@blakeley.com     <http://www.blakeley.com/>
            Performance Analysis for Internet Technologies