debian-powerpc: debconf, perl, apt-get errors

A few weeks, I did an "apt-get upgrade" on my Titanium and now my system wont upgrade many packages. I'm using testing and unstable with testing being the default.

apt-get returns all sorts of errors and I think it is a perl script which is part of debconf. I have searched the archives but have found no answer. One person suggested reinstalling debconf. I did an upgrade but it was already the latest. I stupidly tried removing debconf, which removed *lots* of other packages due to dependencies, but I thought I'd be able to restore them all as they were in the apt cache. How wrong I was :(

I've tried reinstalling debconf/unstable debconf/testing and even tried debconf/stable. It seems that debconf-tiny has no problems but a lot of the packages I use require debconf.

I've now lost my GNOME desktop and have to use virtual consoles for now.
There must be many others seeing similar problems but there's not much on the mailing lists.
How can I get back on track ??

Thanks for *any* help or suggestions.
Brendan Simon.