Re: RFC: What should be done about kernel-image's bootloader questions

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 03:07:35AM +0200, Michel Daenzer wrote:
> As the bootloader lives in AmigaOS entirely it doesn't make sense to create a
> package for it.

nor to add anything about it to kernel-package...

you would be better off to make a real bootloader not relying on
proprietary OSes, or teach the current one to read the kernels off the
ext2 root filesystem.

> michdaen@pismo> locate lilo                                              ~
> /usr/lib/menu/default/lilo
> /usr/share/vim/vim57/syntax/lilo.vim
>

> No lilo on this Pismo, where I built and installed the kernel-image-2.4.4-apus
> package.
>
> I see the preinst sets do_boot{floppy,loader} to "Yes" and defaults the
> bootloader to lilo; maybe I could change at least the former two using
> kernel-pkg.conf during the build. I'll see.

yes but it should be testing to see if /sbin/lilo exists and is
executable, if not it should turn all that off, which is exactly what
it does for me on x86, at least with potatos kernel-package.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/