Re: RFC: What should be done about kernel-image's bootloader questions

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:14:51AM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. AFAICS it's for the user who installs a
> > kernel-image package though; is there a way to influence this with
> > kernel-package or in my source package that I'm not seeing?
>
> you can install a /etc/kernel-img.conf file to begin with, but if your
> talking about the kernel-image package itself then no.
>
> manoj's answer to these situtations is the user, or the package owning
> the bootloader should install an appropriate /etc/kernel-img.conf.

As the bootloader lives in AmigaOS entirely it doesn't make sense to create a
package for it.

> > That wouldn't be a problem, but it asks the exact same questions as it
> > would on an i386 box. I wasn't keen to find out what happens when it tries
> > to run lilo so I said no to all of them...
>
> i don't see how this is possible, i removed lilo from my x86 boxes
> awhile ago when i installed grub, as soon as i did all the boot floppy
> and lilo questions in kernel-image installation went away.  they
> install quietly now no questions asked (this is packages build with
> potato's kernel-package, i took no other action to disable these questions).
>
> so you must have somehow installed the lilo package on your apus for
> this to happen, or else kernel-package has become severely
> braindamaged recently.
>
> since lilo is arch: i386 short of unpacking it manually i don't see
> how you installed it.

michdaen@pismo> locate lilo                                              ~
/usr/lib/menu/default/lilo
/usr/share/vim/vim57/syntax/lilo.vim

No lilo on this Pismo, where I built and installed the kernel-image-2.4.4-apus
package.

I see the preinst sets do_boot{floppy,loader} to "Yes" and defaults the
bootloader to lilo; maybe I could change at least the former two using
kernel-pkg.conf during the build. I'll see.