Re: RFC: What should be done about kernel-image's bootloader questions

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:47:30PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:26:45PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
>
> > Um, well, wait a second.  There's quik and there's yaboot.  The
> > latter needs a little 800K partition, but is that so wrong?  Quik
> > for old world and yaboot for newworld powermacs.  If you want to use
> > quik, you also have to be "good."  ~:^)
>
> I don't mind having some HFS around.  Quik doesn't need anything else around
> (I forgot) and in theory could work on new world, but that was largely
> abandoned as people kinda disliked quik for being flakey and a PITA to get
> working just right.  As a rule tho BootX works and isn't as much of a pain
> to get going as quik on oldworld, and yaboot is good for new.

actually no, the reason quik was abandoned on newworld was because
apple removed OpenFirmware's ability to load a bootblock, which is the
way quik works.  there is no way to make newworld OF load the first 1k
block of your root filesystem the way oldworlds do.  (short of writing
yourself a peice of forth code to load a specific block range on the
disk that you calculate yourself...).

yaboot largly IS quik's second stage, which is in turn a bastard child
of silo (silo is much better then quik/yaboot).

but anyway my point is the only way to make quik work on a neworld is
to compile its second stage as ELF and load it the same way yaboot is,
via an 800K Apple_Bootstrap partition.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/