Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 02:45:28PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:57:11AM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > > Can you boot from an external 1.76MB floppy ?
> >
> > yes. its treated just as the old classic external floppies that I'm sure
> > most people had with their A500's
> >
> > > but 1.76MB floppies would be easily supported, almost nothing needs to be
> > > changed, apart from the rescue disk creation. Does someone with a 1.76MB
> > > floppy volunteer for that ?
> >
> > if you give me the instructions and details I can test this.
>
> Well, just format a floppy disk, but the bootstrap program on it, a linux
> kernel (in compressed form) and a little script that will boot it, from a
> ramdisk.
Don't you need some part of AmigaOS to make a floppy bootable?
Doesn't at least amiboot need some libraries to be present on the system you
are booting from?
Can all hardware already be set up by the kernel?
How do you get the image on the floppy, from linux? From AmigaOS? It
probably has to be done on an amiga to use the 1.76MB drives (or on a PC
with a catweasel controller, even less probable).

So I guess you need an Amgia, running AmigaOS, to create these floppies, to
then be able to boot from those floppies. Probably we will not be allowed to
ship those floppies or even images of them, due to copyright reasons, so
every user has to create them himself.
Due you really think this is worth it, considering how unreliable floppies
are? Please tell me when I am too pessimistic ;-)

No, I don't have a HD floppy drive, only with the catweasel controller, and
no driver for it exists yet.
And no, I will not put a new harddisk into my old Amiga, even if I had to set
up a system from scratch, I could very well use a bootable MOD, but maybe
more users have HD drives than MOs...

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/