Re: Success!! [was: BootX & Booting without keyboard/monitor]

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 08:28:03PM -0700, Tovar wrote:

> I don't know when/if LINUX is going to support high quality printing on an
> Epson Photo 700 directly, and MOL doesn't currently support serial lines.

i recently had an encounter with an epson printer.  i got rid of it
and replaced it with a true postscript printer.  that solved the
problem quite nicely.

> So i'm stuck booting into MacOS for various reasons.  But i have an HFS
> LINUX boot partition instead of using BootX, and it doesn't need a monitor

this sounds like miboot.  miboot is as fundementally flawed as bootx
(miboot IS bootx).  its also a pain to configure, can't read ext2,
etc.  making it a very poor general purpose bootloader.  it was never
designed for anything but bootable CD's and floppies.  its useless for
bootable CDs since it requires non-free, non-distributable Apple CDROM
drivers.

> The boot partition was made in the same manner one makes an HFS boot
> floppy.  So this approach might be an alternative for those machines
> you don't want to install Quik on for some reason.

beware that many will find MacOS will debless this partition, and
remove its bootblock rendering it unbootable since miboot is not
`real' macos.  not all will have this but many will.  if you mark the
partition read-only in the partition table you can probably prevent
this.  (assuming MacOS 8/9 still respects that bit, OSX certainly
does).   setting this read only bit is quite easy using a hex editor
on /dev/[sh]da1 from linux.  Drive setup does not appear to touch it
last i checked (it just set the HFS readonly bit which macos ignores
when removing blessing/bootblocks from `fake' systems.)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/