Re: Another about installing on an oldworld mac

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 02:15:52PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:48:42PM -0400, cfm@maine.com wrote:
> > The whole serial port thing was too much work and too unreliable.  I
> > could never get quik to boot unattended into linux, but could do
> > that with bootx.
> >

> MacOS will not boot without some kind of monitor on the 7200s, and that is
> why I had to switch to quik, which works perfectly unattended now.  With
> 7300, and probably others, MacOS will boot unattended without adb/monitor.

kevin p.  (can't remember how to spell your last name sorry :)) found
a bug in quik involving null termination or somesuch that caused it to
either crash or pass garbage to the kernel unless the user supplied
something bogus as a command line arg.  there is a patch in the bts
right now that fixes this.  it made quik start booting unattended for
him.  perhaps it will fix this for others as well.  it would appear
that quik's maintainer is inactive, or MIA as it does not seem to be
getting merged, and Dan won't touch quik with a 100ft cattle prod.

quik's second stage has alot of bugs in it.  eventually yaboot may
replace quiks second stage loader (it would still be started by quik's
first stage bootblock and not a kludgy bootstrap partition as required
on newwords)

this would *not* mean OF booting will get any easier, its still OF
that is the weakest link, not quik.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/