Re: Audio CDs on Titanium G4 Powerbook

Rob Pfile wrote:

> Bastien Nocera writes:
>  >
>  > [eject -v]
>  >
>  > Post the result here when you have something
>  >

> my symlinks are wrong:

I tried to point that out, but I don't think anyone was
listening....

> so that problem is solved. i'll reboot without ide-scsi and see how
> cdda2wav -I cooked_ioctl behaves... however, i'd need to accomplish
> the same thing with audio cd reader, which probably means hacking the
> source? it definately doesnt work when it's pointed at /dev/hdc while
> ide-scsi isnt running. getting rid of ide-scsi would be nice...

What's wrong with ide-scsi?  I use it on every system I have.  Just
say "no" to the IDE cdrom driver.
The ide-scsi emulation layer makes all these packages work much
better.  cdrecord only works on scsi devices and at the end of the
day it just makes everything a little nicer.  Solaris X86 accesses
all its ide devices through a scsi emulation layer.
 So there's even precedent.

> I really cant believe how pedantic and belligerent people are on this
> list. I see requests all the time for 'how do i get audio cds working
> on my Cube/Titanium PB'? I managed to figure it out, maybe in a
> roundabout way, post my results along with a half-assed, wrong
> speculation, and everyone is so quick to point out my mistake.
>
> obviously there is a driver for IDE cdroms, since i can mount data
> disks fine. OK, THANK YOU, i will go to my grave knowing how
> intelligent people on the list are and how stupid i am, and i feel so
> much better about that.

You goooo, boyeeeee!

Actually, what I think caused you to say that was that so many
packages for CDROM manipulation only work on scsi devices, and some
of those packages have "drivers," not the same as kernel drivers,
which will handle certain other types of CDROM drives not handled by
SCSI ioctl's.  Cdrecord certainly does.  But that these packages
don't have generic IDE CDROM drivers.  Yeah, that's what you meant.