kernel video vs XF video ( was Re: Working configuration files ... )

"Michel Dänzer" <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch> writes:

> > > You can easily verify that by catting /proc/fb.
> >
> > That would probably find aty128fb. :-) My bad. Another post revealed the
> > user had used the novideo option, bypassing the aty128fb init.
> >
> > Now why XFree would still use kernel ioctls for color map setting and mode
> > swithing even without UseFBDev set is a question for the X experts.
>
> He's been talking about the fbdev driver all the time...

Hey All,

Having struggled quite a bit with getting video working on the
external video of the pismo, I have been wondering a lot about all the
different video drivers and what their relation is to one another.

If someone in the know could give a brief description, or point me to
some docs about the video kernel drivers and what relation they have
to the XF86 video drivers, I'd be more enlightened.

Things like "Option" "UseFBDev" confuse the heck out of me...

Thanks,
jas.