Re: LocalTalk support?

> > nobody's bothered to implement it? Have I gone out of list scope and
> > should ask somewhere else?
>
> the actual localtalk  over the serial port i do not think is
> supported.  however if its localtalk over ethernet (which i suppose is
> called ethertalk...) is supported, sortof, by netatalk.

I'm using netatalk and about the only thing I'm missing is some sort of
appletalk routing functionality (to generate zones now that our networking
people switched routers). And netatalk doesn't play with lprng here.

> i think the `nobody has bothered' is probably the explanation.

Nope, it's actuakky pretty difficult to implement and probably
not worth the hassle (at least not for anyone who'll never use
that feature, sorry this is how free software works). Localtalk over
serial requires synchronous mode operation of the SCC and the protocol
timing constraints are pretty tight. You don't want to do that sort of
stuff in non-realtime context. In a multitasking OS you don't want to do
it busy-waiting in the interrupt handler either. But you may see things
different, please go ahead and prove me wrong.

PC localtalk cards have a coprocessor to offload the protocol handling to
IIRC.

	Michael