Re: 7200 clock

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:24:18AM -0500, Kevin van Haaren wrote:

> Not really a debian issue, but does anyone else with a 7200 have serious
> clock issues?  Bascially I'm losing 12 seconds every 10 minutes.  Through
> a stupid ipchains firewall scripting error i blocked my NTP access on
> Friday.  When I fixed it earlier today it was off by 443 seconds.
>
> Is this hardware failure or are all 7200 clocks that crappy?
>
> Guess I'll try replacing the PRAM battery first.

My guess is that the problem was just ntp.  ntp sets the clock skew in
order to adjust the clock, so if you lost ntp access while ntp was in the
process of setting the clock back, it would continue running slowly until
you regained access to ntp.

I don't think the PRAM battery could be responsible, since as I understand
it, the hardware clock which is maintained by battery is only consulted on
reboot, and as I understand matters you didn't reboot.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/