Re: reqs for vlc ?

Vinai wrote:

I wanted to try out playing DVD's under Potato PPC.  So I grabbed a vlc
.tgz archive from www.videolan.org.  Everything seemed to compile, but
on launching vlc, I get a window, the DVD drive spins for a while, but
nothing else seems to happen.  I let it spin for a while in case it is
just really taking its time, but no go.

How is it supposed to read the data from disc without UDF support? ;)

Do I need a 2.4.* kernel with UDF support to run vlc ?  Currently, I am
using a custom self-built kernel, compiled from the 2.2.19 sources from
kernel.org. I run the 3.3.6 version of XFree from potato 2.2r2 and this
is all on a Lombard/400/DVD.

There are Lombards with DVD drives? Sure it's not a Pismo?

Playing DVDs will be the opposite of fun without the XVideo extension which is only in XFree86 4.x and only officially in the r128 driver.

Besides, sound is choppy for me on a Pismo/400 with vlc, xine is better but video isn't smooth; see the other recent thread about this.