reqs for vlc ?

Hi Folks,

I wanted to try out playing DVD's under Potato PPC.  So I grabbed a vlc
.tgz archive from www.videolan.org.  Everything seemed to compile, but
on launching vlc, I get a window, the DVD drive spins for a while, but
nothing else seems to happen.  I let it spin for a while in case it is
just really taking its time, but no go.

Do I need a 2.4.* kernel with UDF support to run vlc ?  Currently, I am
using a custom self-built kernel, compiled from the 2.2.19 sources from
kernel.org. I run the 3.3.6 version of XFree from potato 2.2r2 and this
is all on a Lombard/400/DVD.

Any ideas on why I can't use vlc at all ?  Thanks.

vinai