Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorld)

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 09:19:27AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Okay, then it works on /dev/sda4, but fails on /dev/hdb6.  I guess this means that OF
> can't boot from the slave device.

most likely...

i think i am going to leave support for finding the device in
ofpath..  since its presumably possible to fix OF with nvramrc patches
to work with slaves.  and really such an issue belongs in
documentation rather then in utilities like ofpath.  at least thats IMO.

> > could be, OF support IDE pretty poorly on many oldworld machines..
>
> Wish I could find the LinuxPPC/Starmax page I first used a couple of years ago,
> I think that's where it said OF doesn't support slave devices.

i have some of the old linuxppc quik info archived, but not all of
it.  i hear its all still avialable somewhere, linuxppc ratholed it
when they got on the BootX BootX BootX, MacOS MacOS MacOS mantra.

> Now this is just one oldworld, it may be that some others work, so I wouldn't remove
> slave support from ofpath just yet.  But it would probably be worth putting something

agreed

> in the boot floppies documentation to warn oldworld users against trying to boot from
> slave devices.  Also, this machine does have two IDE ports, so it can support hdc and
> hdd, which give errors in ofpath:

> ofpath: Device: /dev/hdc is not supported
>
> [This is the new one you sent me.]

ah hmm, ill check this, i think i still have your device tree sitting
in ~/tmp...  in the meantime you can try ofpath 0.8 in ybin 1.1.  i
may have chnaged a couple things..

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/