Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorld)

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 06:49:40PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> >
> > I don't know, will try to mark it bootable at some point using mac-pdisk (that
> > won't mess up my hard drive, right? :-).
>
> well, i don't think mac-fdisk will do it.  looking at quik this is not
> your x86 standard bootable bit, but rather some extra information.

I see.

> did you run quik on it?  quik makes the device/partition bootable.

Okay, then it works on /dev/sda4, but fails on /dev/hdb6.  I guess this means that OF
can't boot from the slave device.

> > I'm guessing it's the IDE slave device that's the problem, based totally on
> > hearsay...
>
> could be, OF support IDE pretty poorly on many oldworld machines..

Wish I could find the LinuxPPC/Starmax page I first used a couple of years ago,
I think that's where it said OF doesn't support slave devices.

Now this is just one oldworld, it may be that some others work, so I wouldn't remove
slave support from ofpath just yet.  But it would probably be worth putting something
in the boot floppies documentation to warn oldworld users against trying to boot from
slave devices.  Also, this machine does have two IDE ports, so it can support hdc and
hdd, which give errors in ofpath:

ofpath: Device: /dev/hdc is not supported

[This is the new one you sent me.]

Zeen,

-Adam P.