Re: telnetd timing out?

Michel Lanners <mlan@cpu.lu> writes:
> Two things come to mind:
>
> 1- Firewall: some (most?) firwalls have options for dropping idle TCP
>    connections. Since by default telnet doesn't use any keepalive, that
>    may be the problem here. It need not be a real firewall; could be a
>    firewall config in iptables on one of your boxes.

This is a via a local LAN but yes that would be a possibility when
masquerading. [Thinking about this, though, if the routing tables on
the particular machine which I'm logging in *from* are not set up
correctly, it *might* be using the default gateway for it's
connections. Just checked - auth.log is giving that machine's correct
name.]

> 2- the remote box auto-logging you out.

Most likely but I checked syslog; I figured that there might be
mention of it "User has been idle 2 hours. Disconnected." but there
was no mention of it.

Another person wrote back and simply stated "debian-user"; I thought
this might be a daemon or cron job that is periodically called which
disconnects idle users but I have not been able to find it.

Oh well. Thanks.

Elizabeth