airport suddenly not working? pump or kernel problem?

My airport card suddenly stopped working.  I can see the access point and
everything looks fine with iwconfig, but I can't get a lease with pump,
nor with dhcp-client.  The kernel spits out messages like eth0 NETDEV
WATCHDOG transmit timeout, eth0 resetting card, eth0 could not determin
bitrate.  I'm using 2.4.17-pre8-ben0, but I swear it worked at least once
with that kernel before it stopped working.