Re: iPod

On 20 Dec 2001, Jens Schmalzing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Subject basically says it.  Has anybody been able to use the iPod as a
> plain Firewire disk under Linux?  I have successfully used various
> hard disks and a CD writer with a 2.4.14-benh kernel, so I persume it
> is possible, but I would like to make sure.

I can get my iPod to charge from the firewire port under Linux :)  That's
about it.  The disk is formatted for HFS+, and there is precious little
support for HFS+ under Linux[1].  I would be curious to see what happens
if you just blow it away and put an ext2 partition on it, but I don't know
if the iPod's software is stored entirely in flash or partly on the
filesystem.... probably should make a backup using dd before experimenting
(actually should probably just experiment on the backup via loopback
device and spare the iPod from danger).

I've been meaning to mess with my iPod more but haven't got a round tuit.

-jwb
[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplus
Thus sprach the author: "It sort of works"