Install on a Wallstreet 300

I have a couple of questions

First, I'm trying to install debian on my laptop (it's powerbook G3,
wallstreet model I think, 300 mghz). It was the top of the line when it
came out. I'd like to know if this is considered newworld or oldworld,
because I can boot to OF, but I can't boot off the cd.

And second, I read a couple of times about installing linuxppc and
installing Debian on top of it. Where can I find information about that
process, or what would be the best way of doing it?