sound and 2.4.16

Hello everyone,

I've got a PMac G3/266, running a 2.4.16 kernel, and my sound is still funky
with it. Sound works fine with a 2.2.x kernel...funny thing is that with the
2.4.16 kernel, my cdplayer works, but not xmms. Neither does my sound server
control panel in kde. In fact, I can crash xmms and the sound server control
panel. I compiled the two default sound modules first as modules (which
didn't work the sound at all), but when I compiled them directly into the
kernel, at least I can get sound from my cd player...

Thanks for any help!

Russell