Re: Question about (older) TiBooks

On  25 Nov, this message from Rogério Brito echoed through cyberspace:
> 	I was surfing the brazilian version of Ebay and found an
> 	(second-hand) older TiBook which is costing less than an
> 	iBook2, which seemed to me a good oportunity.

;-)

> 	Assuming that the hardware of this TiBook is working correctly
> 	(and that the person is only trying to sell it because he
> 	needs the money), would I encounter any problems with it
> 	running Linux? Are there any peripherals that are not
> 	supported (like sound or the DVD)?

I have a TiBook/400, and evrything works pretty well. As long as you use
recent software (2.4 kernels, XFree 4.1, mostly), evrything is
supported.

DVD playing is starting to be Altivec-accelerated, so works useably
well. Sound is supported in the 2.4 kernels, but there are still a few
quirks left with byte order with some applications.

FWIW, my TiBook works _lots_ better than a Dell Lattitude from work,
which constantly crashes on wakeup.

> 	BTW, talking about DVDs, I think that the DVDs of all
> 	computers available recently in the marked are RPC2 compliant,
> 	but how does it work in Linux? Are the Open Source players
> 	"agnostic" regarding the region coding system?

No Linux player has ever asked me any questions about region coding. But
since my DVD is flashed to be RPC-1, I'm not sure why that is so...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |